Blog Post #3

• What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional network?

Currently, students are using multiple platforms to develop their professional network, and each platform is utilized for different purpose.  Personally, I use Facebook, Zoom, Linkedin and Google Drive the most to develop my professional network. Unlike Twitter, Facebook encourages people to sign up using their real names and personal information, which makes it easier to locate people who either attend the same school with you, or work in the same profession with you. One of the features that Facebook has, which is Facebook Messenger, is also great for group discussions. Zoom is frequently used to hold virtual meetings and to attend online courses. It is also a great way to network with others, since communicating face-to-face makes it easier for people to know each other. However, since communicating face-to-face has greater significance to most people compared with communicating through written language, communication via Zoom is often built on previous communication via other platforms. Linkedin has long been a useful platform for me and other students who wish to identify future career opportunities. Much like Facebook, people use their real names and personal information on Linkedin, which makes it more convenient to locate people from a certain profession. Linkedin also allows students to get in contact with business organizations, which provides large potential for career opportunities. Google Drive is often used for group work, especially under current circumstances where people work and study remotely. It is and effective tool through which we can share academic resources with others.

•   What can you (as a student) consider to expand your professional learning network?

As a student, I can expand my professional learning network by both putting more efforts into existing platforms and exploring new platforms. By putting more efforts into existing platforms, I could work harder on the materials I present on each platform, and make more frequent appearances on these platforms. For example, a clear and thorough personal bio on Facebook that emphasized on my education and my work experiences  would make it easier for other people to identify me as a student and as a future employee.  A carefully drafted resume would better prepare me for potential internship and job opportunities on Linkedin. More frequent appearances would keep me updated on the information on each platform, as well as showing people that I am an active user of these platforms. By exploring new platforms, I could also explore more opportunities. For example, recently, an application called Clubhouse has attracted a lot of attention online. Clubhouse is a social media platform that allows only verbal communication, and only allows sign-up through invitations. The relatively high requirements on its users (a certain level of articulacy) and the exclusiveness of this application gives it huge potential for being a professional, educational platform. Keeping an eye on these new platforms is critical for expanding my professional learning network.

•  In your network, how can you create a digital identity/reputation?

Like I mentioned earlier, I believe that the key to create a professional digital identity and establish a digital reputation is to focus on the content that I post on each platform. In order to create a professional digital identity, I would try my best to ensure that the contents I post are correct, have references to the original resources, and are updated to match the newest findings in the professional realm. I would also make sure to focus the materials in a specific professional realm. For example, if I’m trying to establish my digital identity as an economy major student, it probably wouldn’t help if I post what I eat for lunch on my social media accounts.

• Consider what a local employer would do if you applied for a job with them – can they search the content, is it of benefit to the career path, does it hinder the opportunity of employment?

I believe that it is of benefit to the career path if a local employer could search the content that I post online. In my opinion, the collective of a person’s digital marks could be seen as a portfolio of that person, which would provide great understanding of that person as a potential employee. In fact, some art major students would deliberately include their Instagram accounts and Pinterest accounts in their resumes as a way to present their work.  For example, a friend of mine who majors in graphic design would constantly update her Instagram account by posting her works, and would put her education and field of interest in her bio to attract future employers (in her case, future employers are mostly studios who would look for talents on social media). However, I do believe that me, or any other employee, should have the right to choose which part of my digital marks are the ones that I feel comfortable sharing with my future employer.

1. patricia g

Hello Heidi!
    I think your V&R Map is crystal clear in terms of how you interact with the applications you placed and with the definitions of what those quadrants represent.

You answered the first question in very informatively on each platform, where, if someone didn’t know about the application, would still understand well what one may use it for.
    I also like the idea that expanding and exploring platforms builds a PLN. You mentioned that improving one’s digital reputation may involve increasing activity and quality of content – “I could work harder on the materials I present on each platform … make more frequent appearances on these platforms.” Following up this claim with specific examples of how to utilize this tactic – for perhaps improving visibility, quality of what is viewed, likelihood to be represented well for your assets to gain opportunity available in the digital space was impactful. Some key takeaways from this section for building reputation
    is honing specificity, engaging in activity and quality – cutting edge, informed/researched, referenced and invested content.

You mentioned that one should have the right and freedom to express or not express in the digital realm for an opportunity/employment prospect, I agree. As we continue developing into the digital world, will not participating/leaving a digital footprint become a hindrance or more often a deciding factor?

• heyhey

Hi Patricia!
      Thank you so much for your comment! I really appreciate it that you mentioned the word ‘visibility’, that’s exactly what I was trying to communicate. Making more frequent appearances really is to make oneself more visible on digital platforms. The question you raised is also very insightful. In my opinion, although not having a digital footprint would not necessarily become a deciding factor, it would definitely become a hinderance as we move faster and faster into the digital world. Take the scenario of looking for job opportunities for an example. Today, almost all modern businesses look for potential employees online. In order to seek a position in these companies, you would have to have a digital resume and an email account so that you could send your resume to HR. In this case, having a digital footprint becomes a minimum requirement for people looking for jobs. However, there will always be less advantaged people who do not have access to digital platforms. I think the government should take the responsibility to help these people adapt to the digital world. For example, the government could register citizens into a database after they graduate high school, which helps to make their digital records available to employers.